Saturday, October 11, 2014

Day 11- Before You Leave


Please use the tab above to find "List of 31 days of Vision Posts" to follow along 
I've posted that I loved traveling, yes, that is true, but the worst part of traveling, whether sighted or blind... is the leaving...


Going "home" is always bittersweet. You look forward to being in the place you belong... but covet the time you have had in that dream world.
Like all good things, the my studies and traveling  had to come to an end. My vision had worsened to the point of needing to be seriously looked at. I was not insured as the British subjects are... I couldn't have taxed their system, well, I could have. It turns out that they are very good in the UK about treating foreigners, the National Health Services are very accessible...Ophthalmologists are very well trained in handling retinal detachment, and possibly finding the cause earlier would have helped some in my case. 
 but, in the case that you need surgery,  you might not be able to fly for a while... and my son needed to go back to the US school system. He needs to be able to graduate with his class... needs to be able to go through the system.... be a good little citizen.... or else I would have never, ever left.
I still pine for distant lands.
Before we had to leave, before my vision got worse than it had been in France, we visited Scotland again, Edinburgh, The Kingdom of Fife... Ecclefechan... and so many, many places. We wandered through libraries, caves, gardens, Abbeys, on beaches, over water, through woods, and ruins.  Over bridges and under. We made the best of the time we had left. Ate the full "Scottish Breakfast" and had fried Haggis. Watched the Pipe Band Competition  and waded in Hermitage Water, we sat on Arthur's seat, had kabobs in Portobello, gazed at the ships making their way into the Firth of Forth. I sat in the graveyards of my ancestors for days, listing their names, mapping their resting places...










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming by, please leave a message.